Monday, June 04, 2007

1st Week of June

MONDAY

  • My meals have been basically the same as usual - Scrambled Eggs, soup and soup so far and 2 litres of water which will be increased to 3 before the end of the day.

Exercised a bit with my dumbells today. Lifting them up in each hand 200 times. (Whats it called?) I am so bush. lol!! Will do my situps once I finish typing this. Running tomorrow morning so will come around and give an update.

TUESDAY

  • Breakfast - 2 Avocado's
  • Snack - Chicken Pieces
  • Lunch - Soup
  • 3 litres of Water

100 situps and approximately 30 bicep curls, maybe more. It is so difficult to count 3-5 and still keep count of the number of bicep curls you've done so far at the same time. Will give an update of how my running this evening went when I'm back.

Evening Run

I am proud to say I made up the rear of the 3 mile (approx 5km) group. LOL!! There were 3 groups - 3 miles, 4.5 miles and 7 miles groups. It was a good run. There were about 60-80 runners maybe more. Stretching was done by watching others stretch. I thought the staff would gather all of us together so we could stretch for 15 minutes before leaving like they said in their website but they didnt. So I just watched others stretching and tried to do the same stretches as them.

I tried to find someone who was a beginner like me so we could run at a very slow pace together but no such luck. Almost everyone had some sort of running experience or the other. We left Nike Town at about 18.37pm, walked down Regents Street a little bit and then the run proper began. I tried to keep in front of a group of 3 girls so I wouldnt be the last but pretty soon, everyone left me behind. I remember looking at my stopwatch and I had run for about 10 minutes and then couldnt cope anymore and walked a bit. Then the Nike Staff encouraged me that she was once a beginner and that I shouldnt despair.

We got to Regents Park and ran around the inner circle of Regents park and then headed back to Niketown. I was encouraged a little bit when some of the 7 mile runners caught up with me (they had started their run earlier than us) and overtook me but at least I could see people ahead of me and not despair cos I knew some of them were still behind me too. Pretty soon, we were back at Niketown and I looked at my watch - 19.15pm. I had made the entire route in 38 minutes despite the fact that I had walked some of the way. This was my very best run, I tell you guys cos all the times I was on my own, I have always walked more and made it back to the finish line in just under 57-59 minutes. Looking forward to running with them next week.

WEDNESDAY

  • Breakfast - 2 Avocados
  • Lunch - Chicken Kebab
  • Dinner - Bacon Joint
  • 3 Litres of Water

I did my exercises this morning when I woke up. The bicep curls and squats and sit ups. Didnt run today. Resting. Must run tomorrow morning.

THURSDAY

Nowadays, I try to do my stretches first thing in the morning and last thing at night. I popped into the GP's today to drop my oga's prescriptions and I am happy to announce I am back to the 85KG mark. Phew!! A 2 month set back with my weight going up and down like a yoyo but its all good.

  • Breakfast - Scrambled Egg
  • Lunch - Chicken Pieces
  • Dinner - Bacon & Cheese Wraps
  • 3 litres of water

I went for an event this evening where there was a lot of 'small chops' aka finger foods which I was able to avoid. Thank God there was green, yellow and red pepper, sliced into strips also - I had those and the bacon and cheese wraps or rather cheese wrapped in bacon and also strawberries and cherries. I'll see what my ketostix says tomorrow. I'm not so sure aboout the cherries but I just couldnt resist. I absolutely love them!

FRIDAY

I'm still on track. My ketostix read a pale pink color code. Today's weather was just perfect for running. Very, very cold so you dont feel so hot. Did my bicep curls and squats and situps before leaving for the run as well as a few stretches. I tried to run in laps of at least 1km each.

  • 1st lap - 1.06km - 6 minutes
  • 2nd lap - 1.01km - 7 minutes
  • 3rd lap - 1.00km - 8 minutes
  • 4th lap - 1.05km - 7 minutes
  • 5th lap - 1.28km - 9 minutes

There were times when I got so tired I now ran terribly slowly but then cos my slowness was almost bringing me to a stop, I'd put a little bit of spring into my steps and would run faster than ever. Are these the fartleks you were talking about, buki? Running slowly and then a little bit faster? Anyway, I discovered that when I started those bursts of fast runs, all thoughts of ever stopping were banished and somehow the energy came from somewhere. Where I do not know. LOL!! Anyway, it was a 6.07km route and I ran about 5.3km and walked the remaining 0.90km and made it back home in 57 minutes. Tomorrow is another day.

  • Lunch - Meatballs - Now I have been on induction and Atkins since like forever so I'm hoping to get away with this. Read its made from corn starch and a little bit of wheat after I had wolfed down the entire lot. Was too hungry to stop. LOL!! May have to search the net for receipes for meatballs and make some myself.
  • Dinner - Soup
  • Snack - Cheese and Chicken Piece
  • 3 Litres of Water.

Just finished another set of sit ups and will do more bicep curls and squats before the end of today.

SATURDAY

My RP rang me yesterday and suggested that we try running the entire length of one of our shorter routes (a 5.04km or 3.13 miles route) today without stopping. I was appalled and requested that if we do that, we should try running at a very slow pace to increase our chances of finishing without stopping and reaching our target. We set out to do just that this morning.

It was good in the beginning and my legs were protesting at the 2km mark but we still trudged on. After the 2km mark, there was this steep gradient cos we had to run up a bridge, we conquered that and then ran fast down the bridge to make up for lost time. At the 2.93km, my body was protesting seriously but I couldnt stop cos my RP was still rearing to go and that kept me going on too. We got to the second bridge, another steep climb and then ran fast down the bridge again and continued our race. Then the feeling that your legs are no longer yours and they're just moving like clockwork cos they've been wound kicked in and I made it the rest of the route without feeling the pain in my legs cos they werent mine any more. We made it to the finishing line and I was so proud of her cos she was the one who kept me going. If I was on my own, I'm pretty sure I would have given up at the 2.93km mark and walked a little bit to rest.

  • 1st Lap - 5.04km - 46 minutes.

We may try this again tomorrow.

  • Coming back from the run, I've drunk 1.5 litres of water already.
  • Breakfast - Eggs
  • Lunch - Soup
  • Dinner - Above again. Was just too nice to let go.
  • (Had 2 chocolate muffins and a cob of roasted sweetcorn on my way back from an event. Think I was hungry and longer throat - the muffins were reduced, also contributed to this. Took Sennakot before going to bed)
  • 2.5 more litres of Water.

I've made up my mind to be doing the same number of bicep curls and situps daily. Today was my first day and it went well.

SUNDAY

My ketostix still showed the same pale pink. Now, I am getting suspicious. Shouldnt it have changed colour a little bit cos I cheated yesterday? May just have to get the same one as yours from that online shop later on in the month LGL.

Went running and just decided to take it as it comes and see how far we could go. We ran the same route as yesterday. It went well. My legs werent mine - couldnt feel them but then didnt run very fast either. Surpisingly, at that pace, didnt feel tired or feel like stopping and after going up the slope at the second bridge, decided to put a litle spring in my step and see if I could beat yesterday's time. (Wish I had put the spring in my spring a little bit earlier) Made it to the finishing line in:

1st Lap - 4.81km (2.99 miles) - 45 minutes.

I admit I cheated a little bit and refused to run the extra bit that would have made it the same distance as yesterday. Maybe some other day. I ressurrected my ankle weights today after a long hiatus and wore them on my wrists during my run and was doing bicep curls during my run. I need thin arms. LOL!!

  • 1.5 Litres of Water after my run.
  • Breakfast - Scrambled Eggs
  • Lunch - Brocolli and Roast
  • Dinner - Fish
  • 3 Litres of Water

Situps - Done, Bicep Curls - Done.

17 comments:

LondonBuki said...

Hey CG... how many seconds would you say it takes for you to lift the dumbells? I am assuming you are doing bicep curls?

Calabar Gal said...

Buki - u have come again. So I could answer ur question, I actually did them again and timed myself. 48 bicep curls (assuming thats what they're called) in one minute. Was that good or bad? lol!

LondonBuki said...

Yes o CG, I have come again, LOL!

I don't want you hurting yourself and 48 bicep curls in one minute sounds dangerous. You'll be straining your joints... long term injury!

I do 30 bicep curls on each arm and I do 2 sets of these.

Next time you are doing them... do it slowly. Count to 3-5 as you are lifting the dumbell and count to 3-5 again as you are releasing(dropping) it. Do this 20-30 times. It really hurts! Another thing is hold you upper arm tight against your side as you are doing this and breathe out slowly as you are lifting and breathe in as you are releasing.

Here's a video: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/videos/2005/dumbbellbicepcurl.wvx

Calabar Gal said...

Thanks Buki. You've been really helpful. Will try and stick to your directions and hav a look at the video as well. Cheers.

LittleGirlLost said...

@ Buki - Ooh can I say thanks for the video too.

I am not a runner...yet. That would be a big deal for me. I have zero stamina for Jogging but maybe in due time I might feel inspired. You go CG.

LondonBuki said...

No problem girls...

CG... You'll get used to it, you won't have to count after a week or so. I am sure of it.

Well done... You had a large group of people running the whole time around you and that motivated you to run more than you usually do on your own or with just one person. WELL DONE!!!!

You know what? The 8km you registered is at the same place as the half marathon Vickii and I are taking part in... and the race for life on July 21st!!! By force, by force I must see you o! LOL!

LittleGirlLost said...

Well done CG Well Done!

Mommy said...

Hi calabargal...I finally weighed myself. The result was quite depressing for me. I have not been here until today. I'm happy about your stripped jacket. I gave all my jackets, skirts and all away cos they just would not sit right on me. Dumbells ehn...I am going to get mine today after work.
...so I weigh 88kg...at first it said 88.2...I almost passed out. When I checked again and again it read 88. What am I going to do?
:o(

LondonBuki said...

@Mommy I once weighed over 90kg. And I actually did think to myself, "What am I going to do? The amount of weight I have to lose is overwhelming". I didn't do anything about it.
One day in 2002, I saw a picture of myself and couldn't believe that was me, I joined weightwatchers and the rest is history.

I won't bore you with my story...

All I will say is - You can do it. It'll even be easier for you cos you have people to share and compare your progress with.

You can do it :-)

@CG Keep it up! I am going to annoy you again - your squats - please make sure your knees don't go in front of your toes when you are squatting to avoid knee injury. If you already knew that, I am sorry for bein an ITK.

Well done :-)

Waffarian said...

Calabar girl! well done my sister, well done, I am very proud of you! That was really good. Like Buki, I think its best if you get a book or video so you learn those exercises properly and stretch too, abeg! my own running ir going well, I am up to 37 minutes now, so slowly but surely, I will get up to the one hour mark.

@mommy: Don't worry, don't think about the numbers, just focus on exercising and eating right, the numbers will come down, you'll see, be encouraged, many of us here started heavier than you, I know it feels horrible now, but once you get over the initial shock, this might actually motivate you! take care, and don't despair, just start. Today.

Calabar Gal said...

@LGL: Thanks.I got the info on the ketostix you put down for me.

@Londonbuki: I didnt know about the knees and toes thingy. No advice is ever thrown away. Always valuable and treasured. Thanks. (smile) I'll look out for you at the Race for Life event.

@Mommy: dont despair. That is a starting point for you. I weighed 90KG when I started so u actually weigh less. So decide what diet you want to be on and stick to it. It works!! Dont forget to throw away all the suagary drinks and cakes and snacks and stuff and eat healthy. Buki's testimony should show u that it works.

If you are getting the dumbells, check out buki's blog for some valuable books on exercises.

@Waffarian: U're still in the slow and steady club huh? I remember during my run on tuesday when I was looking for someone whose pace is very slow I could run with, one guy overhead me saying I run very, very slowly and turned his head and smiled as he sped past. I'll get there eventually. Thats my motto for now. (smile)

Mommy said...

Thanx you all! I've made a resolution to eat right and visit this blog as frequently as possible for all your tips.
* Shuo!! is this how heavy dumbbells are or is it just me? I'll check out lodonbuki's for those tips. Thanx you all!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! You are all my motivational force. Muah :o)

LondonBuki said...

@Mommy How heavy are your dumbells? Try 3lbs(~1.5kg) or 2kg dumbells for now. They might seem light but when you are doing the exercises the right way, they feel so heavy.

Good luck :-)

LondonBuki said...

I have been told that it's not the best idea to stretch before exercise... you will be stretching cold muscles and it does you more harm than good. Some people I know actually stretch ten minutes into their running(and at the end), I stretch at the end.

Well done you! When I started running, a friend of mine told me it's better to really slow down that to completely stop so you should be proud of yourself.

I see you get the idea... fartleks - you have a set time you run faster for. I think you should try a fartlek once this coming week. You will end up running for a shorter period of time but you'll feel like you've been running for longer than usual! You need to make sure you warm up(jog) for 10 minutes before you start and also cool down(by jogging) for similar amount of time.

Now that you have registered for Race For Life, I hope they send you the training package so you can try to train once a week.

CG, well done o. I might be someone who runs a few times a week but you motivate me... seriously.

Calabar Gal said...

@LB: What I did was that at the end of each 1KM run, I streteched a bit before walking small and then starting the next lap. I got the race for life pack sometime ago. Didnt see any training details there. They asked us to go to www.raceforlife.org/training for advice tips. Thanks for all the tips too. Thank God we have each other. (smile)

moi said...

Yo go girl!!! Well done.

Vickii said...

Well done on all the running CG ... I can't believe how good you've got and so quickly!

Just to pick up on something Buki said earlier, when lifting weights so say your bicep curls, you should do it slowly so each curl should take you two or three seconds, that way you're actually working the muscle and not just using force and momentum to lift the weight ... hope it helps!

 
ss_blog_claim=ef692c558628efc54b5e3b49d35c7832